Think you know Bulgaria and the Bulgarians? Take our quiz to doublecheck...
1. Relics of which saint were "found" on the island of St Ivan, near Sozopol?
A. St John the Baptist.
B. St John the Evangelist.
C. St John Crysostom.
2. What is Spirit of Burgas?
A. A new brand of anise liquor.
B. A music festival.
C. The new show on Skat TV.
3. According to the Bulgarian Industrial Association, in the summer of 2010 the Bulgarian economy...
A. Improved slightly, but visibly.
B. Kept freefalling.
C. Triumphed with a historical rise of the GDP by 23 percent
4. Which senior world politician visited Bulgaria in August?
A. Barak Obama.
B. Silvio Berlusconi.
C. Shimon Peres.
5. Who is Vladimir "Master" Dimitrov?
A. A prominent Bulgarian mafia boss.
B. The new minister of culture.
C. A famous painter from the first half of the 20th Century.
6. During its meeting in Brazil in August UNESCO extended the boundaries of...
A. Pirin National Park.
B. Ancient Nesebar.
C. Srebarna Nature Reserve.
7. What do the Bulgarians celebrate on 22 September?
A. The day of the Communist coup in 1944.
B. The Unification of Principality of Bulgaria and Eastern Rumelia in 1885.
C. The announcement of independence from the Ottoman Empire in 1908.
8. Which celebrity stars in Kamen Kalev's latest film, The Island?
A. Naomi Campbell.
B. Laetitia Casta.
C. Gisele Bündchen.
9. From 1949 to 1962 the official name of Musala, Bulgaria's highest peak, was...
B. Mao Tse Dong.
The correct answers 1. A; 2. B; 3. A; 4. C; 5. C; 6. A; 7. C; 8. B; 9. A