Think you know Bulgaria and the Bulgarians? Take our quiz to doublecheck...
1. How were passengers on public transport evacuated during torrential rains in Sofia in June?
A. by fire engine
B. by taxi
C. by boat
2. The price for public transport in Sofia increased as of 1 July. How much does a single ticket now cost?
A. 1.10 leva
B. 1.50 leva
C. 1.00 leva
3. A few years ago, snapshots of Prime Minister Stanishev on a motorcycle earned him a reputation as a biker. Recently his photos have made headlines again – what sport is Stanishev trying this time?
C. bungee jumping
4. The National Statistical Institute announced that prices for consumer goods have increased over the past 12 months. How much have they jumped?
A. two percent
B. 15 percent
C. 22 percent
5. Bulgarian sumo wrestler Kaloyan Mahlyanov became the first European to win the Emperor's Cup in Japan. What is the pseudonym he uses there?
6. A Sofia City Council inspection revealed that several new buildings in the Boyana neighbourhood were built without the necessary permissions. Which Bulgarian politician occupies them?
A. Ahmed Dogan
B. Boyko Borisov
C. Ivan Kostov
7. Last month Sandanski held partial local elections – and immediately made headlines with accusations of voteselling. How much does a single vote cost, according to local politicians?
A. up to 50 leva
B. between 50 and 100 leva
C. 155 leva
8. Which city in Bulgaria became the first to be entirely covered by surveillance cameras?
9. The Bulgarians failed to qualify for the European Cup for football, but many of them – 19.7 percent of the population according to newspaper stats – support one of the foreign teams. Which one?