Think you know Bulgaria and the Bulgarians? Take our test to doublecheck
1. Which Sofia church was built in the 6th Century?
A. St Alеxandr Nevskiy
B. St Sofia
C. St Nedelya
2. In which Bulgarian river, with some luck, can you catch sturgeon?
A. The Danube
B. The Iskar
C. The Maritsa
3. Which of these cities doesn't have any Revival Period architecture?
B. Veliko Tarnovo
4. Where is Pliska, the first Bulgarian capital?
A. In Bulgaria's northeast
B. In Bulgaria's northwest
C. Outside modern Bulgaria
5. What is not a part of the Bulgarian traditional wedding?
A. Breaking a bread
B. Filling the bride's shoe with money
C. Potato sack race between the groom and the bride
6. Bulgaria's highest mountain is...
A. The Rila
B. The Pirin
C. The Stara Planina
7. Which man is hailed as the Patriarch of Bulgarian literature?
A. Ivan Vazov
B. Hristo Botev
C. Dimitar Talev
8. What is the population of Bulgaria?
A. Around 9,000,000 million
B. Around 8,000,000 million
C. Around 7,000,000 million
9. What is not an ingredient of tarator, the yoghurt cold soup?
The correct answers:
1. – B; 2. – A; 3. – C; 4. – A; 5. – C; 6. – A; 7. – A; 8. – C; 9. – A.