If you still have no plans or if you prefer to do something different than the tried and tasted romantic dinner, head to Bulgaria's southwest. The Melnik region is the home of one of this nation's best local wines, and for a third year in a row it will celebrate it with a fascinating festival.
Between 14 and 17 February the region's small wineries will celebrate St Trifon's Day with a mixture of traditions and more modern activities. An initiative of the Villa Melnik Winery, the Open Doors Days in the Melnik Region Festival will include century-old rites such as the ritual pruning of vines, folklore programmes, winery tours and tastings of local wines and food.
The participating wineries are:
- Villa Melnik, Harsovo village
- Orbelia, Kolarovo village
- Orbelus, Kromidovo village
- Rupel, Dolno Spanchevo village
- Zlaten Rozhen, Rozhen village
- Kapatovo Gardens and Vineyards, Kapatovo village
- Libera Estate, Hotovo village
- Zornitsa Family Estate, Zornitsa village
- Sintica, Sandanski
- Augeo Family Estate, Vranya village
On the preceding weekend, 9-10 February, you have another reason to visit the region, for the Golden Grape Festival of Melnik Wine.