Think you know Bulgaria and the Bulgarians? Take our quiz to doublecheck...
1. Which politician declared that he will take a loan, pledging his own house to finance the electoral campaign of his party?
A. Ivan Kostov, leader of Democrats for a Strong Bulgaria, or DSB;
B. Ahmed Dogan, leader of the Movement for Rights and Freedoms, or DPS;
C. Boyko Borisov, informal leader of Citizens for European Development of Bulgaria, or GERB.
2. Who celebrates their nameday on Tsvetnitsa, or Palm Sunday?
A. Tsvetelin and Tsvetelina;
B. Everybody who has the name of a flower;
C. Everybody who has the name of an animal.
3. On Easter Day Bulgarians greet one another with "Christ has risen." How do they answer?
A. Same to you;
B. Indeed he's risen;
4. Where is the village of Ribnovo?
A. In the Rhodope;
B. On the Black Sea coast;
C. Near Veliko Tarnovo.
5. What is the name of the Bulgarian patriarch?
6. The new coach of the national football team is:
A. Plamen Markov;
B. Dimitar Penev;
C. Stanimir Stoilov.
7. Which Bulgarian city has a House of Humour and Satire?
8. In Bulgaria, you are legally of age when you are:
9. Which Australian director shot his latest movie with a working title The Way Back in Bulgaria this spring?
A. Baz Luhrmann;
B. Peter Weir;
C. Phillip Noyce.
The correct answers:
1. C; 2. B; 3. B; 4. A; 5. A; 6. C; 7. A; 8. A; 9. B