The covered bridges of Lovech inspire the feel of timelessness and eternity. Their beginnings and end are lost in infinity
The first information about a covered bridge in Lovech is by French traveller Ami Boué (1837-1838) who mentioned a "... covered stone bridge full with workshops…".
The bridge of Master Kolyu Ficheto
After several floods the city decided that a new covered bridge was needed. Famed master builder Kolyu Ficheto started working on the infrastructure project, which had improved architecture and functionality, on 2 July 1874. The wooden bridge had 64 workshops. It lasted 49 years, withstanding floods, uprisings, and wars.
The bridge of architect Stefan Olekov
The Covered Bridge burnt down in 1925 and was restored in 1931 after the design by architect Stefan Olekov. It stood for 50 years. The most significant changes were 2 columns without water drainage openings and narrowing the river's bed. In the 40 workshops worked shoemakers, saddlers and other artisans.
The bridge by architect Hristo Zlatev
Redesigned (1980-1982) and partially renovated (1999), the bridge became pedestrian. Today it is a "covered high street" and is closer to the original Covered Bridge. Instead of 40 workshops there are 10 shops.
Inside the Covered Bridge today
Technically speaking, the Covered Bridge is not declared an immovable monument of culture, but it is nevertheless an integral part of Lovech history and culture and one of its symbols.
Tourist information center Lovech
+359 68 601 362