Think you know Bulgaria and the Bulgarians? Take our test to doublecheck
1. Did Bulgaria’s corruption level change in 2013, according to transparency international?
A. It increased
B. It decreased
C. It didn’t change
2. Which foreign politician has been rumoured to stand for Bulgaria in the European parliament election?
A. Silvio Berlusconi
B. Angela Merkel
C. David Cameron
3. Which Bulgarian city is famed for its seven hills?
4. Who is the Man of the year nominated by the Bulgarian Helsinki committee?
A. The refugees and the Friends of the Refugees Society
B. The anti-government protesters
C. The people in the "civic militias" in Central Sofia
5. Which minority celebrates with great relish st Basil's day, on 1 January (14 January in the Gregorian calendar)?
A. The Gagauz
B. The Eastern Orthodox Gypsies
C. The Greeks
6. Where is Bulgaria’s oldest business academy?
A. In Sofia
B. In Varna
C. In Svishtov
7. Under Communism, the place where the statue of saint Sofia is now was occupied by a monument to…
A. Vladimir Lenin
B. Sultan Suleyman the Magnificent
C. Tsar Alexander II
8. Where are the fortune slips hidden at a traditional Bulgarian new year's feast?
A. In the sarmi, or cabbage rolls
B. In the meatballs
C. In the banitsa
9. Which herb is used to mull wine with in wintertime?
A. Pelin, or wormwood
B. Mashterka, or thyme
C. Ravnets, or yarrow
The correct answers:
1. - C; 2. - A; 3. - B; 4. - A; 5. - B; 6. - C; 7. - A; 8. - C; 9. - A