Think you know Bulgaria and the Bulgarians? Take our test to doublecheck
1. Where is the cleanest air in Bulgaria?
A. At Rozhen peak, in the Rhodope
B. At Vihren peak, in the Pirin
C. At Botev peak, in the Stara Planina
2. Which notorious Sofia building is getting its first renovation since it was constructed in the 1970s?
A. The Central Railway Station
B. The NDK, or the National Palace of Culture
C. The building of parliament
3. The Old Elm, in Bulgaria, was declared European Tree of the Year 2014. Where is it?
A. In Sliven
B. In Yambol
C. In Smolyan
4. What is the difference between Bulgarian and Greek musaka?
A. Bulgarian musaka is without meat
B. Bulgarian musaka is without aubergines
C. There is no difference
5. What used to exist on the spot Sunny Beach resort was built on?
A. A village
B. A pristine beach
C. A monastery
6. Where in Bulgaria is rose scented rakiya made?
A. Around Kazanlak
B. Along the southern Black Sea coast
C. Along the Danube
7. Which is the longest river running entirely in Bulgarian territory?
8. Which Bulgarian city used to be called Odessos?
9. Which famed Bulgarian poet is buried next to a church in Sofia's centre?
A. Hristo Botev
B. Ivan Vazov
C. Geo Milev
The correct answers: 1. – A; 2. – A; 3. – A; 4. – B; 5. – B; 6. – A; 7. – C; 8. – C; 9. – B.