Think you know Bulgaria and the Bulgarians? Take our test to doublecheck
1. When is Bulgaria's next general election?
A. 12 May
B. 26 May
C. 1 June
2. Traditionally, Bulgarians dye Easter eggs on...
A. Palm Sunday
B. Holy Thursday
C. Good Friday
3. What sea do Bulgarians call Byalo More, or White Sea?
A. The Adriatic
B. The Mediterranean
C. The Aegean
4. Who is Hitar Petar, or Witty Petar?
A. A popular comedian
B. A folk tale character known for his wit
C. The first Bulgarian ocean liner
5. Which plant typical for Bulgaria is said to have been spawned from Orpheus’ blood?
A. Rhodope Silivryak, or Haberlea rhodopensis
B. Wild geranium
C. Rosa damascena
6. Where in Bulgaria did seals use to live?
A. On the southern Black Sea coast
B. On the northern Black Sea coast
C. In the Seven Rila lakes
7. What is NDK?
A. The former royal palace in Sofia
B. The name of the national railway company
C. A gigantic convention centre in Sofia
8. Where in Bulgaria is the Blue Rocks natural phenomenon?
C. Stara Zagora
9. What is the staple of the menu in Bulgarian monasteries’ canteens?
A. Beef Stroganoff
B. Broad beans
C. Smoked salmon
The correct answers:
1. – A; 2. – B; 3. – C; 4. – B; 5. – A; 6. – B; 7. – C; 8. – A; 9. – B.