Think you know Bulgaria and the Bulgarians? Take our quiz to double check
1. When the guests of a Bulgarian wedding cry Gorchivo!, or Bitter!, the bride and the groom...
A. Kiss each other
B. Slap the best man
C. Beg their in-laws for money
2. Which Bulgarian food does not have a protected geographical designation?
A. Lyutenitsa from Parvomay
B. Sudzhuk from Gorna Oryahovitsa
C. Smoked mackerel from Sozopol
3. The first railway in Bulgaria, built in 1866, connected which two cities?
A. Ruse and Varna
B. Sofia and Plovdiv
C. Burgas and Stara Zagora
4. When a driver of an expensive car flashes his headlights behind you, he...
A. Wants you to get out of his way
B. Says "Hi"
C. Signals his brakes don't work properly
5. Where in Bulgaria can you watch a light-and-sound show?
A. At the Office of the President in Sofia
B. Along the Burgas pedestrian zone
C. On Tsarevets Hill, Veliko Tarnovo
6. How many Bulgarians own private airplanes?
7. Which Bulgarian mountain is referred to as The Balkan?
A. The Stara Planina
B. The Rhodope
C. The Rila
8. What percentage of the fruits and vegetables, once considered the highlight of Bulgarian cuisine, are actually imported?
A. 80 percent
B. 50 percent
C. 20 percent
9. The Black Sea is called so because...
A. The poor variety of fish
B. Its violent storms
C. It is black at night
The correct answers to the questions:
1. - A; 2. - C; 3. - A; 4. - A; 5. - С; 6. - C; 7. - A; 8. - A; 9. - B