Think you know Bulgaria and the Bulgarians? Take our quiz to doublecheck...
1. Where was an earthquake measuring 7.5 on the Richter scale registered at the beginning of February?
A. Gabrovo region
B. Blagoevgrad region
C. Vidin region
2. Which Bulgarian natural phenomenon was nominated for the global online survey to choose the new Seven Natural Wonders of the World?
A. Wondrous Bridges
B. Belogradchik Rocks
C. Rayskoto Praskalo, or Paradise Waterfall
3. What do Bulgarians celebrate on 3 March?
A. Bulgarian Unification
B. Liberation from Ottoman rule
C. Martenitsa Day
4. Which local politician has been nominated for the position NATO general secretary?
A. Meglena Kuneva
B. Simeon Saxe–Coburg
C. Solomon Pasi
5. What was the annual inflation rate in January 2009, according to the National Statistical Institute?
A. 0.8 percent
B. 1.8 percent
C. 7.1 percent
6. What is the name of the Inland Revenue chief who recently resigned before she would be arrested over VAT fraud allegations?
A. Emel Etem
B. Maria Murgina
C. Meglena Plugchieva
7. When should the martenitsa be taken off according to Bulgarian tradition?
A. At 12 pm on 2 March
B. When you see a stork
C. When it gets worn out
8. Madonna will visit Sofia in August 2009. How much will the most expensive tickets for the concert cost?
A. 200 leva
B. 300 leva
C. 400 leva
9. The semifinal of the World Chess Championship between the Bulgarian Veselin Topalov and the American Gata Kamski was held in February in:
A. Moscow, Russia
B. Houston, Texas
C. Sofia, Bulgaria
The correct answers:
1. A; 2. B; 3. B; 4. C; 5. A; 6. B; 7. B; 8. A; 9. C